At last week’s Uganda Bloggers Happy Hour, I may at one point have been so overcome with spirited enthusiasm that I declared an upcoming blogging competition without real regard to who would organize, sponsor or regulate such a competition.
Not one to disappoint, I’ve decided to take on this (joyful, weightless) burden. It’s time to recognize the talented writing, creative design and spirited community that is the Ugandan blogosphere.
The first annual Uganda Best of Blogs competition is now open for nominations in the following categories:
- Ugandan blog of the year — open to any blog written by a Ugandan or focusing on Uganda
- Best post — The single best piece in the Ugandan blogosphere
- Best blog in Uganda — Written by anyone living in Uganda in 2006
- Best overseas Ugandan blog — Any Uganda-focused or Ugandan-authored blog written in a foreign country
- Best writing — Intelligent, witty, feisty, eloquent or just plain funny
- Best design — Best overall design and layout
- Best photography — Best photo taken by a Ugandan blogger and posted on his or her blog
To be considered for the 2006 Uganda BOB awards, blogs must fulfill the following criteria:
- Have dated entries
- Have existed at some point during 2006
- Be written by a Ugandan, by a non-Ugandan living in Uganda, or be focused on Uganda
Nominations are open from now until Thursday, February 15 at 11:59 PM. You can e-mail your nominations to me at jack.fruity [at] yahoo [dot] com or bring them to the February Happy Hour. Anyone, blogger or non-blogger, Ugandan or non-Ugandan, can nominate blogs.
In the nomination phase,
- URLs are required for all nominated blogs
- The maximum number of blogs you may nominate for a category is two (2) for most categories and three (3) for Ugandan blog of the year
- You must nominate at least three (3) different blogs total — no flogging of one blog for numerous categories
- You may nominate your own blog, but the nominations for your own blog must be less than one third of your total (legitimate) nominations
- There is no limit to the number of categories for which a blog may be nominated
- Nominees have to fit the category they are placed in
Once the nominations are in, they will be counted, and the three blogs in each category (and five blogs in the Ugandan blog of the year) with the most nominations will be voted on. Voting will take place here between February 19 and March 9, and awards will be announced at the Happy Hour on Thursday, March 15.
Ready, set, go….