So much for the Ugandan Best of Blogs Awards. The blogren have jumped ship to the Honest Scrap Award, an informal, apparently international bloggers’ honor-slash-meme that’s been making the rounds in East Africa.
Earlier this month, she passed it along to me.
I’m flattered, but I’ll resist the immense urge to make a gratuitous, Sally Field-esque acceptance speech. Instead I’ll just show you hers:
You like me! Right now…you like me!
The award stipulates that I:
- Brag about the award.
- Include the name of the blogger who bestowed the award on me and link back to the blogger.
- Choose a minimum of seven (7) blogs that I find brilliant in content or design.
- Show their names and links and leave a comment informing them that they were prized with Honest Weblog.
- List at least ten (10) honest things about myself.
To be honest, several of my top choices have been awarded already. I don’t know if it’s legal or not to re-award them, but I’m going to do it anyway. In no particular order, the seven East African bloggers whose blogs’ content or design I find brilliant:
- Rev/Comrade at The Dying Communist, for constantly provoking me. Samali already named him, but I’m hoping the additional mention will put even more pressure on him to start blogging again.
- Angela Kintu, for constant thoughtful analysis.
- Rosebell, for bringing important things to my attention.
Rosebell’s acceptance post
- SebaSpace at AfroGay, for persistence in the face of disheartening adversity.
- Tamaku at Diary of a gay Kenyan (he’s already accepted the award once), for courage and wit.
- Tumwi at Ugandan Insomniac, for unique insight and wry humor.
- Naughty Feeling at Queeattitude, for a recent post that broke my heart.
And for my ten honest things:
- I despise eggplant.
- I can’t whistle.
- I like cupcakes in theory, but not in practice.
- A two-week trip to Uganda in January 2006 saved me from a year in Vladivostok and five to seven years’ worth of studying 19th century Russian literature.
- Most of the things I “overhear” on Twitter are pulled from conversations I’ve had.
- I desperately need to move my blog to WordPress.
- But I’m resisting because I don’t want to give up the ability to obsessively tweak my design through Blogger.
- I’m three degrees from Joseph Kony, two degrees from Wernher von Braun and one degree from Mikhail Gorbachev.
- I have a thing for giant storks.
- I claim to hate memes, but this is the third time I’ve participated in one on Jackfruity (here are the first and second).